What is a domain name?
A domain name is a unique word or phrase in a particular format that allows people to find information on the Internet. Instead of accessing information by IP address which uses a number string, a domain name allows people to navigate to Web sites and send email using familiar, easy to remember names e.g. www.Domains.Boats.
There are different levels of domain names. You can tell what level you are looking at by its position in relation to the ‘dot’. Values to the right of the dot are called Top Level Domains (TLDs). In this example, www.Domains.Boats , the Top Level Domain = Boats. Values to the left of the dot are called Second Level Domains (SLDs) and using the previous example, “Domains” would be the second level.
What is a Registry Operator?
A Registry Operator is the wholesaler of domain names and sells names via Registrars. It manages the registration of domain names, establishes policies for domain name allocation, and technically operates the domain. Dominion Enterprises is the Registry Operator for .Boats.
What Are Domain Name Registrars?
Registrars are the retailers of domain names. They provide domain name registration services directly to registrants. These include helping registrants find, register, renew, and delete domain names. They send the information to the registry for entry into the centralized registry database.
Who are the Accredited Registrars of .Boats?
Dominion Registries publishes a list of all .Boats accredited registrars on our Registrar page. All .Boats registrars must be officially accredited by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), and will have executed a Registry-Registrar Agreement (RRA) with Dominion. .Boats domain names may also be offered by resellers that operate under a contract with one of the accredited registrars.
What is a Registrant?
A Registrant is a company, organization or individual who registers a domain name.
What is ICANN?
ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is a non-profit, private organization responsible for coordinating IP address space allocation, protocol parameter assignment, domain name system management, and other services.
Who Can Register a .Boats Domain Name?
.Boats domain names will be made exclusively available to registrants that provide products, services or information that benefit the marine industry. All registrants will be validated by the Registry. This means that as consumers do their Boat related research and execute transactions online, they will be able to trust content found on websites using the .boats extension and find relevant content on these sites.
A registrant who belongs to one of these categories and meets the verification requirements is eligible to purchase a .Boats domain name:
- Watercraft Manufacturers: A commercial entity that produces recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM): A commercial entity that produces components that are used by Watercraft Manufacturers for producing recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Watercraft Product Manufacturers: A commercial entity that produces products intended specifically for use with recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Broker: A commercial entity or professional whose primary purpose is to facilitate the sale of recreational watercraft.
- Distributors: A commercial entity whose primary purpose is to procure inventories from Watercraft Product Manufacturers for wholesale purchase by dealers.
- Dealers: A commercial entity with inventories of recreational or sporting watercraft for purchase.
- Retailers: A commercial entity whose primary purpose is offering products for sale, specifically including items from Watercraft Product Manufacturers.
- Marinas: A commercial entity whose primary purpose is to sell, lease, or rent storage space for recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Watercraft Services: A commercial entity or professional that performs general maintenance or repairs on recreational or sporting watercraft
- Financers: A commercial entity that is licensed to lend monies for purchasing recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Insurers: A commercial entity that is licensed to insure recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Naval Architect: A commercial entity or professional who produces concepts or designs that are intended for recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Surveyor: A commercial entity or professional that is certified or accredited by a legitimate association to assess recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Associations: A group of professionals, firms, and/or individuals organized together for a specific purpose that is focused on recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Educators: A commercial entity or professional that is accredited, approved, or recognized by a reputable organization to offer courses or produce boating industry guideline for the use of recreational watercraft.
- Athletes: An individual who participates in sporting watercraft events sanctioned by an international recognized body.
- Charters: A commercial entity or professional whose primary business is to provide excursions on watercraft.
- Event Organizers: Commercial or professional entities that arrange or promote sanctioned events related to recreational or sporting watercraft.
- Media: Commercial or professional entities that publish content specifically intended for the recreational and sporting watercraft industry.
When Will I Be Able to Buy a .Boats Domain Name?
General Availability begins April 6, 2016.
Why Are Some Domain Names Unavailable For Registration?
Some .Boats domain names may be unavailable for one of several reasons:
- The domain name has already been registered
- The domain name is reserved for use by the Registry Operator
- ICANN requires that the certain domain names not be released
What is a Sunrise Period?
The Sunrise Period is provides the opportunity for trademark, trade name, or service mark holders to claim rights to domain names that match their mark and are registered in the Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH).
.Boats will be running an End Date Sunrise Period. Applications will be reviewed at the end of the period, and those that meet the eligibility requirements will be registered. If more than one claim is made for the same domain name, an RFP mechanism will be used to determine the winner of the contested name. Instructions on how the mechanism will be run and what is required will be provided to all affected applicants.
What is a Founder Program?
The .Boats Founders Program provides the unique opportunity for industry and thought leaders to work with Dominion Registries to secure some of the best .Boats domain names and promote the .Boats namespace for the benefit of the marine industry. Companies, brands and individuals accepted into the Founders Program will benefit from special pricing and early availability together with advertising and marketing promotion for their .Boats Founder website by Dominion.
If you are a start-up with an innovative idea, an established industry leader looking for a category killer domain name, or a big brand looking to extend your reach with a specific campaign, we want to hear from you.
What is General Availability?
The General availability phase follows the Sunrise period. This is the open-ended phase where .Boats domain names will be available on a “first-come, first-served” basis to registrants meeting the eligibility criteria.